Center for Health Education and Vulnerable Support’s vision is that every Lesbain, gay, bisexual, trans gender, intersex and queer youth has the power and enabling environment to thrive, participating fully and equally in creating a peaceful, just and inclusive west Africa free from violence for all. Our mission is to create a society where everyone has equal access to health and human rights irrespective of gender, sexuality and social status. We are guided by the ideas, voices and agency of young queer Africans in pursuit of our mission and vision.
For additional information about our work, please visit: https://chevs.org/
We are looking for Strategic board members with backgrounds in feminist leadership, program development, legal, fund raising, and management, based anywhere within West Africa.
About the Strategic Board
CHEVS is led by a strategic board, composed of seven members from around West Africa who together bring a range of skills and experience to the CHEVS team. In line with our vision and mission, our governance structure and the composition and work of the strategic board is driven by queer and feminist values intertwined into a comprehensive ideology of rights and humanity.
The role of the Strategic Board is to provide strategic oversight and support to CHEVS by supervising, advising, challenging and supporting the Executive Directors and other management staff in order to ensure that the organisation fulfils its duties and responsibilities: legal, ideological, community, and societal to the extent that they align with our philosophies. The Strategic Board plays a key role in ensuring that CHEVS maintains and delivers its vision, mission and strategic agenda.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Attending multi-day Board meetings (either physical or virtual) three times a year;
- Participating in other Board and Board Committee work, including periodic online meetings and special events (3-5 hours per month);
- Advising the Management body (i.e. the Executive leadership) on CHEVS strategy, policies and operational decisions as well as risk strategy and culture;
- Overseeing governance, and stimulating and ensuring openness and accountability;
- Overseeing the performance of our Executive leadership;
- Reviewing and approving (multi-)annual plans, and budgets;
- Supporting the organisation fundraising and linkage to resources and other collaborative activities that align with organisational philosophies and contribute to organisational growth.
- Participating in at least one Board Committee (Audit and Risk, Governance and Nominations, Remuneration, and/or Fundraising).
Our Ideal Candidate:
An Ideal candidate should have expertise in one or more of the following areas;
- Expertise in law and human rights, including specific expertise in labour law and taxation
- Experience in organisational governance, including structures, policies and procedures;
- Expertise in the strategic management of risk, particularly in relation to legal and governance matters;
- Expertise in project development, management and evaluation.
- Expertise in Strategic communication and public relations.
- A strategic thinker who can support the Management and Board in anticipating future challenges as the organisation grows;
- Knowledge and skills in the area of good governance and the work of Boards;
- Commitment to CHEVS mission, feminist values and intersectional justice principles;
- Needs to identify with our values and be able and willing to act as an ambassador for CHEVS
- Willingness to be available to the staff of CHEVS for advice and enquiries on an ad hoc basis
What’s in it For You:
Membership on the Supervisory Board is without compensation. Reimbursement is made for travel and other costs related to participation in meetings held three times yearly. You get to make a difference in the work of intersectional feminism and social justice and use your expertise for a good cause. You will be serving a 3-year term that can be extended for another term subsequently.
How to Apply:
If you think this is you, we would love to hear from you. Please tell us about yourself via the application link.
Closing date for application is February 20th 2023 at 23.59 WAT.